Saturday, October 6, 2018

Somewhere On the Highway In Between

This post is #110 in a year-long series ... Through this series of posts I plan to share our family's experiences during our 17-year-old daughter's year-long battle with brain cancer, which began in February of 2008. My desire is to process through the events of that year from the perspective that a decade of time has brought ... for myself, really. But if you'd like to follow along, you're welcome to join me.


October 6, 2008

After that bumpy first day of tomotherapy radiation, things settled down into a routine which was already somewhat familiar to us.  The daily trips to Little Rock were just an ongoing part of our lives.  The only difference this time was that Hannah was no longer trying to maintain both school and radiation treatments.  We decided as a family that her focus should be on simply getting well.  We would deal with school when cancer was in the rear view mirror.  I also gave up trying to work at this point.  I am a speech pathologist and had been working as an independent contractor for the last few years, so it was easy for me to step away for a time.

So most of the time, it was just the two of us.  Brad was at work, Bethany was at school, and Hannah and I were either at home, at CARTI, at Children's Hospital, or somewhere on the highway in between those places.  And somehow, even with a glioblastoma diagnosis hanging over our heads, we enjoyed that time together.  I am so thankful for those days.

Just a quick update this afternoon...Hannah has had another good day today, and we are thankful. We had a nice, restful weekend, and enjoyed another visit from family. Hannah's radiation treatment today was uneventful, and she has been completely nausea-free! She will have four more treatments this week, and after that we'll be down to only thirteen more! She also had blood work today, and most of her counts were in the normal range...and should remain there, since she will be completely off of any chemo for several more weeks. We have much to be thankful for today...especially for all of the wonderful friends, family, and even strangers who have shown the love of Christ to us over the last couple of weeks. We are overwhelmed with gratitude, and rest in the knowledge that God is good, all the time!

Some trust in chariots and some in horses, but we trust in the name of the Lord our God. Psalm 20:7

Jill and Brad

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I treasure the time I had with Stephenie when I was her caregiver. I lived with her and her husband for 2 years and I see it as a gift. All the times we spent going to and from Mayo Clinic in Phoenix are precious to me now.