Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Tell About It Tuesday -- Free & Cheap Kindle Books

So this is my first "Tell About It Tuesday" post.  This summer, my Tuesday posts are going to be about favorite things I want to share with you.  Could be a neat website, an awesome iPhone app, or a tasty recipe.  The possibilities are pretty much endless!  I must confess that I stole the "Tell About It Tuesday" title from Meredith, who blogs from her home at 7000 feet.  She has a great blog that I really enjoy reading, and Tell About It Tuesdays have been a long-standing tradition with her.

So, here goes....

I love books.  I've always loved books.  I actually started reading when I was three years old.  Nobody taught me to read...I just could.  I can still remember the first time that the words in a book suddenly made sense to me, and I was immediately hooked.  Books have been my constant companion ever since then.

I never thought I'd like reading an electronic book.  Give me a book I can hold in my hands, with pages I can turn, and that "new book" (or "old book") smell.  If you're a book lover, you know what I mean. 

But then I discovered Kindle!  And I've never looked back.  I love the convenience of being able to carry a book with me everywhere I go...actually a stack of over 100 books!  I don't actually have a Kindle...I use the Kindle app on my iPod or iPhone.  So it stays in my purse and I can pull it out anytime I have to sit and wait anywhere...at the doctor's office, getting the oil changed in my car, even in a long drive-through line at McDonald's!   It's great for reading in bed, and it's perfect for use on the treadmill...I don't have to struggle to turn pages, or worry about pages flipping back. 

When I first started using Kindle, it was easy to find free and cheap books.  Recently, it seems like it's become more difficult.  But, if you're hooked on Kindle like I am, you will love these two websites:  Pixel of Ink and Inspired Reads.  Each of these websites posts a new list of free and discounted Kindle books every day...the only difference is that Inspired Reads features only Christian books, which is awesome.  You can even enter your email address on these sites, so you will receive a daily email from each one, listing all these great books.  I subscribe to both of them, even though many of the Pixel of Ink books are not of interest to me.  But I have found good books from both of these sources, and my only problem now is finding time to read all these great books I've downloaded!  Not a bad problem to have, though!  :)

Happy Reading!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks! I'll look up the websites, definitely!

Kecia said...

I started reading the same way you did! Funny. My mom has a Kindle, but I don't even have an ipod yet, so we'll see. I love the smell of books!