Sunday, September 2, 2018

Shopping With My Girls

This post is #96 in a year-long series ... Through this series of posts I plan to share our family's experiences during our 17-year-old daughter's year-long battle with brain cancer, which began in February of 2008. My desire is to process through the events of that year from the perspective that a decade of time has brought ... for myself, really. But if you'd like to follow along, you're welcome to join me.



One of the great joys of having daughters is the shopping.  When they're little, the fun part is shopping for them ... then as they grow up, it's great fun to shop with them.  I always loved shopping for the girls ... matching outfits, white lacy socks, Easter dresses, shoes, prom dresses ... but shopping with them is even better.  Bethany and I still have a great time shopping together.  In fact, a shopping spree is her most-requested birthday gift now that she's all grown up!

Hannah and I were also good shopping buddies ... the last year or so that we shopped together, she took it upon herself to move her mom out of the '90's the '80's.  She really enjoyed critiquing the outfits I tried them on and giving me fashion advice.  I loved it.  One of her favorite shows was "What Not To Wear" (after American Idol, of course!) and she always laughingly talked about submitting my name to Clinton and Stacey.  I apparently needed more help than even she could give me!  :)

Ten years ago over the Labor Day weekend, we enjoyed one of our last opportunities to shop together.  My email from that date ...

September 2, 2008

We are so thankful to have very little to report this week…Hannah’s blood work today was very good, with most counts near normal, and a platelet level of 120,000. Next Monday we will go to Children’s Hospital for our monthly visit, and on September 29th, Hannah will have another MRI. Her school year has gotten off to a very good start, and she has been feeling fine. She does tire fairly easily, and sometimes sleeps for an hour or so after school, but for the most part has been able to go about her daily activities without slowing down. We were even able to take a trip to Mountain Home over the holiday weekend to spend time with family, and squeezed in a shopping trip to Branson while we were there! God has truly blessed our family, and we are so grateful! Thank you so much for your continued prayers!

God is good, all the time!
Jill and Brad

No comments: