Yesterday we had another of our While We're Waiting Mini-Retreats for Bereaved Moms, and what a wonderful blessing it was. I was reminded once again why Christian parents who have lost children are my favorite people to be around. And here's why...
1. They are the bravest people I know. These are folks who have survived every parents' biggest nightmare, and find themselves with very little left to fear.
2. They don't waste time with small talk. Every conversation has depth and richness to it.
3. They've learned not to judge others, because they've come to realize that they've been wrong about a whole lot of things themselves.
4. They appreciate the little things in life ... because they've learned that the little things are really the big things.
5. They understand that they are not in control ... and they've learned how to trust the One who is, even when they don't like what He allows.
6. They've wrestled with the most difficult questions of life, and have come to accept that they will never have all the answers this side of Heaven.
7. They would give anything to still have their child with them ... but they love their child too much to really want them to leave Heaven.
8. They have learned how to accept clumsily-spoken words from well-meaning folks with grace.
9. They know how to smile in spite of their broken hearts ... and they bravely do it every day.
10. They live with eternity always before them. It's what gets them up in the mornings and allows them to sleep at night. It is the promise of Heaven that keeps them breathing every day.