Now, I'm perfectly content to just watch the gymnastics competition on TV ... and hey, how about those USA girls, huh? I would say they've represented us well. Here's hoping things start looking up for the guys as the competition goes on.
So, here are a few random thoughts about the Olympics as our theme for this Free-For-All Friday!
- I always love watching the opening ceremonies. Last Friday night, we watched them with our good friends, the Browns, in our hotel room in Wynne, on the eve of our While We're Waiting Moms' Mini-Retreat. I got a kick out of the queen "parachuting" into the Olympic stadium.
- I think it's funny that we will watch sports that we would never otherwise watch, just because it's the Olympics. I mean, really, if you were flipping through the channels one evening and landed on water polo, would you stop and watch it? Or judo? Or fencing? Or badminton? But we watch all of those things, just because it's the Olympics and we want our team to win!
- Speaking of water polo, how on earth do those people tread water that long? It makes me tired just to watch!
- Have you ever noticed that watching the Olympics makes everybody an expert? "Did you see that step he took on his dismount ... that will be at least a .67 deduction"; or "Did you notice that big splash ... that's because she wasn't vertical upon entry into the water ... that's going to hurt her score." Of course, I would never say anything like that!
- Just how many swimming events are there? No wonder these swimming people win multiple medals (not to take anything away from their accomplishments) ... There are just so many different races!
- Did you know that gold medals aren't actually gold? They are 92.5% silver (just like the silver medals), but are plated with at least six grams of gold. The last Olympic gold medal that was actually gold was awarded back in 1912. Hmmmm....Who knew?
- I like the winter Olympics, but I think the summer Olympics are my favorite. Summer Olympics has gymnastics, diving, synchronized swimming (yes, I know that means I'm a dork), equestrian, track and field, even trampoline events! All so much fun to watch!
- These Proctor & Gamble "Mom" commercials are killing me. Tearjerkers, all of them.
- So far, my favorite quote from the Olympics has come from Gabby Douglas, after she won her gold medal in the gymnastics all-around. She said, "I give all the glory to God. It's kind of a win-win situation. The glory goes up to Him, and all the blessings fall down on me."
And I think that's a perfect way to wrap up this Free-For-All Friday! :)