Saturday, June 16, 2018

Grandma and Grandpa Camp

This post is #85 in a year-long series ... Through this series of posts I plan to share our family's experiences during our 17-year-old daughter's year-long battle with brain cancer, which began in February of 2008. My desire is to process through the events of that year from the perspective that a decade of time has brought ... for myself, really. But if you'd like to follow along, you're welcome to join me.

June 16, 2008

Another Grandma and Grandpa Camp was in the books and while Hannah clearly enjoyed the time with her grandparents and cousins, I could tell she was glad to be home.  On the last day of Camp, they visited the Heifer Project just outside of Little Rock, and I drove up to meet them there and bring the kids home afterward.  It was an interesting tour, but it was hot outside, and I could tell Hannah was rapidly running out of gas.  We headed home right after our tour, and I was thrilled to have my girls home again.

Here are a couple of pictures from G and G Camp that year ... As you can see, they really had a great time!  Hannah really liked nothing better than spending time with her extended family.  Those G and G Camp experiences are something that will always be treasured.



Here's my email from ten years ago today ...

Time for our weekly update…Hannah had her bloodwork done today, as she does every Monday, and her counts overall were pretty good. Her platelets have really dropped off, from 138,000 last week to 47,000 this week, but I think that is to be expected following chemotherapy. They won’t give her platelets unless they drop below 21,000…but they also won’t let her start her next chemo treatment until they get up to at least 75,000. The best news is that she has really been feeling good over the last couple of weeks. She had a great time with her grandparents and cousins last week, and was able to do lots of fun things, like horseback riding and kayaking. We are so thankful that she felt good and was able to enjoy herself the whole time.

Thank you so much for every prayer you bring to the Great Physician on our behalf. You will never know the impact these prayers have on our daily lives. God is truly good all the time!

Jill and Brad

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was just thinking while looking at the picture of the girls holding hands while on horseback: it's obvious that they were extremely close. I know that her sister was completely devastated when Hannah died. But it seems to me that the feelings of the siblings are sometimes pushed aside in favor of the grieving parents. How does Bethany feel about all this now that she's had 10 years to process?