Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thoughtful Thursday -- Thinking about Thanksgiving

My heart has been heavy this week as I've thought of all my new "While We're Waiting" friends who are facing their first holiday without a precious child.  I wish so badly there was something I could do or say that would somehow make it easier, or that there was a way I could make it all just go away.  Unfortunately, there's really not anything that anyone can do or say to make it all better or to somehow turn back the clock to happier times.  The only way to get through these days is to just face them head on, knowing that God is still there, He is still faithful, and His promises are still true.

Last night, I looked back at the blog post I wrote as we were approaching our first Thanksgiving without Hannah.  I remember that I was absolutely dreading the day, and to be honest, it really was tough.  But we got through it, by the grace of God, and each Thanksgiving since then has gotten better.

The post I wrote that first Thanksgiving contained a story I had received by email.  That simple story encouraged me then, and it still encourages me now.  I share that post with you today in hopes that it may encourage you as well.

Though it is sometimes very, very hard ... let's try to be thankful for the thorns.

1 comment:

Barry White said...

Thanks for the story Jill of your first holiday without Hannah. As we start our 1st Thanksgiving and Christmas without David, it is so difficult to be thankful for the thorns. Yet as David quoted in his journal - Joshua 1:9 "Have I not commanded you, be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go". God I am thankful for the roses in the good times, yet I pray to be thankful during the difficult times, the times where the roses are gone and all you have are the thorns. Lord may I praise you for the thorns.