Friday, July 26, 2013

Free-For-All Friday

Tonight's post will be a truly random collection of thoughts ... Just a few things we've been up to this summer ...

1.  My husband officially started his new job as of July 1st.  He's traded in his orange and black for purple and gold, as the new Director of Curriculum and Instruction for Fountain Lake Public Schools.  I think he looks pretty handsome (and quite happy) in his new color ...


2.  While my husband was out of town for a few days a couple weeks ago, I went to the Red Box and rented Les Miserables.  Oh. My. Goodness.  I absolutely loved it.  In fact, I loved it so much I made Brad sit down and watch it with me last weekend.  I think he actually liked it too ... after I explained it all to him.  I think to really appreciate the movie, you have to have recently read the book or be sitting next to someone who recently read it.

3.  The summer is flying by way too fast!  I've been spending a lot of time lately preparing for professional development presentations I'll be doing at our school and at a private school in Fort Smith.  Honestly, sometimes I think the worst thing about going back to work is that I'll have to put on real pants for a change ... instead of the athletic shorts and t-shirts I've been wearing pretty much every day this summer.

4.  Last week, we had the opportunity to spend a few days in southern Mississippi with our dear friends, Larry and Janice Brown, who are the co-founders of the While We're Waiting ministry.  We always have such a good time with them.  While there, we made a day trip to New Orleans, stopping to tour a beautiful sugar cane plantation on the way.  We also took a day trip to Gulfport, Mississippi, and went for a walk along the beach.  At least we were able to get our toes in the sand for a few minutes this summer!  A few pictures from our trip ...




5.  Bethany has kept busy working as a counselor at a local Christian day camp this summer.  What a great experience it has been for her!  She's had the opportunity to personally lead a number of kids to the Lord over the last several weeks.  Camp ended for the summer yesterday, and for the next few weeks, she and I will be spending our time getting her ready to start college in August ... and planning for her wedding next May.  How on earth did people plan weddings before Pinterest?  I plan to enjoy every minute we have together before she heads off to Fayetteville in a few weeks.

6.  Finally, for the rest of the summer, would you please join me in praying for a precious family?  We became acquainted with Steve and Kim Dillard through a mutual friend, because Steve has been battling brain cancer for a number of years now.  They had questions about the type of chemo that Hannah had received because they were recommending the same type for Steve.  He has done pretty well for the last year or two, but a recent MRI revealed that his tumor is growing again, and it appears to be evolving into a more aggressive type.  They have spent this past week at M.D. Anderson, and Steve will be facing another brain surgery in mid-August.  I cannot tell you what a wonderful family this is ... Steve is a former worship pastor and very talented musician, and Kim has one of the sweetest spirits of anyone I've ever met.  Even in the midst of all she's been dealing with, she has opened her home in northeast Arkansas for the past two summers to host our While We're Waiting Mini Retreats for Moms.  They have two children, Clark, and Kathryn, who has decided to postpone her freshman year of college to be able to spend this time with her dad and to assist her mom with his care.  I know the whole family would appreciate your prayers.  This picture pretty much says it all ...


You can follow the Dillards' story at http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/stevedillard213.

No comments: