Monday, September 10, 2012

Ten on the Tenth -- Ten Things To Know About Fear

You know, when my daughter was diagnosed with a particularly frightening form of cancer, and subsequently went to Heaven, I can remember clearly thinking I had nothing left to fear in life.  The thing that every parent fears most -- the death of a precious child -- had happened to me, and I had survived.  At least I was still walking, talking and breathing.  And at that point in time, that was surviving.  I even remember it being a strangely freeing feeling -- I was afraid of nothing.

But, as time has passed, fear has begun sneaking back into my life.  Especially as Bethany gets older, nearly surpassing her older sister in age now, and gains more and more independence.  Every time she gets in her car, every time I think about her going to college far from home next year, every time she complains of a headache ... there is fear.

So, when I read a post by Ann Voskamp on her blog a couple of months ago, it really spoke to me.  Ann Voskamp is the author of One Thousand Gifts, which I highly recommend, and her blog is just beautiful.

Anyway, this month's Ten on the Tenth is credited to Ann Voskamp, and it goes like this:


Ten Things to Know About Fear

1.  Don't fear failing.  Fear not obeying.

2.  Fear is a fraud.  Nowhere on earth is beyond the reach of God.

3.  All fear is but the notion that God's love ends.

4.  Your fears don't decide your fate -- Your fears destroy your faith.

5.  We must do that which we know we cannot -- To prove that it's our God who cannot fail.
Our God appoints those who will disappoint -- To point to a God who never disappoints.

6.  Travel in the direction of your fears -- To let God direct your life.

7.  Fear doesn't stop the really bad things as much as it stops you from living.

8.  It's impossible to simultaneously feel fear -- And give thanks.

9.  Everything your Father has for you -- Is over the fence of fear.

10.  Do not feed the ducks, or the bears, or the fears -- Instead, feed your soul on the Word that is the Bread of Life.


I hope you didn't just skim over that list.  There are some really profound statements in there ... some things we can really hold on to when that spirit of fear tries to take over our lives.  What a great reminder on this Monday morning! 

"For God gave us a spirit not of fear, but of power and love and self-control."  2 Timothy 1:7

1 comment:

Laurie and Jerry Wood said...

That list of 10 will take several re-reads and much meditation to process. Each statement profound and so real and true for each of us. I think I will be overwhelmed by this list for a while.... and it will be a great one to start out each day with; go through each day with; end each day with from not on......