Monday, April 30, 2012

Monday Mourning -- A Surprise Message!

When our girls were young ... let's see, Hannah was 4 and Bethany was 1 ... we moved to the town of Crossett, in southeast Arkansas.  We lived there for three years, and they were three good years.  Brad was the assistant principal at the high school, and I worked part-time for the school district as a speech pathologist.  Our girls were happy and healthy, and life was good.  We had some wonderful friends, we were part of a great church, and we loved our little house on Cedar Street.  It's amazing how simple life seemed when I look back at those years.

Imagine my surprise when I received this message on Facebook last night (I share it with permission)...

Mrs. Jill,

I don't know if you remember me, but I was the same age as Hannah and in the same Sunday School classes with her when you all were here in Crossett. I had an encounter with someone the other day that brought Hannah up and it made me think of you all, so I wanted to share it with you.

I am a member of Grace Christian Fellowship now (it was Temple Baptist Church when you all were here) and I'm in the middle of a bible study with a few members of the church. Well, Mr. Buddy Dean is the leader of my Bible study and he shared a story about Hannah. He never mentioned her name, but he told us of how you all lived close to him when you lived here and how she would visit him and how he always found her to be such a sweet girl. He later mentioned that when all of Hannah's illness was going, you all sent out email newsletters and stuff about her. He said you'd always end it with "God is good all the time, and all the time, God is good." He said it was so encouraging and so true to hear. Later, I asked him if he was talking about Hannah and he said yes and we discussed how God had changed so many lives through her.

During my sophomore year of high school, Hannah actually added me on Facebook and we were able to get back in touch for a while. It was always a blessing to see what God was doing in the midst of her illness. I just wanted to let you know that she definitely changed my outlook on the difference between joy and happiness. She knew the true definition of joy and I've been able to explain the difference to others through what Hannah taught me. 


It was just a blessing to have Mr. Buddy to talk to about Hannah and to know that she's still making a difference no matter what. I hope you and your family are doing well and that God is still blessing and using you daily like He has been for so long.

Love and Prayers,
Nicole Currie



I can't tell you what a blessing it was to receive this message from Nicole.  Of course I remembered her ... she and Hannah were good friends.  They were in AWANA and children's choir together, and she was always a really sweet girl.  

It absolutely thrilled my heart to know that Mr. Buddy Dean (our backyard neighbor in Crossett) is still sharing Hannah's story, even after all this time.  And that Nicole continues to share with others how Hannah's life affected her.  

There is no greater joy in my life than to know that God is still working in the lives of others through Hannah's story.  Thank you, Nicole, for your message.  It means the world to me!

No comments: