Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Tell About It Tuesday -- Another Awesome App!

If you've followed this blog for awhile, you know I'm a big fan of Ann Voskamp's book "One Thousand Gifts".  Her basic premise in this book (written in the most beautiful prose I've ever read) is that true joy comes through thanksgiving.  And I don't mean "Thanksgiving"...as in the once-yearly event where we gorge ourselves with rich food, watch football, and spend a few brief moments being thankful for our blessings in general.  I mean a day-in, day-out lifestyle of thanksgiving, where we recognize and thank God for each and every blessing He brings into our lives, no matter how tiny or seemingly insignificant.  The author describes how her life was transformed by simply listing every blessing in her life, up to 1,000 of them.  She then started her list all over again.

Reading this book inspired me to start my own list of 1,000 things that bring me joy, and I've even shared many of them on this blog.  It can be so easy to get caught up self-pity after suffering a great loss in life, especially when you tend to be an Eeyore like me.  This list has served as a reminder to me to look for and appreciate all the good things in life....and we truly are surrounded by them.  I've kept my list in a little notebook that I carry in my purse, and if I'm perfectly honest, I often miss writing things down because it's just too much trouble to dig it out from amongst all the other junk in there and then find something to write with.  As a result, my list has suffered from neglect.

But...would you believe there's an app for that?  It's called "One Thousand Gifts" (what else?) and it's waaaay better than a list scrawled in a notebook.  When you first open it, you get a quote from Ann's book (such as "Wherever you are, be fully there"), and then you move on to your list.  Adding an item is as simple as typing it in, and here's the coolest part....you can add a photo!  So you not only have your list, but you can have pictures of everything on your list.  You can also easily share your captured gifts to Twitter, Facebook, and Flickr.  How fun is that?   As soon as I have time (not sure when that will be!) I'm going to transfer my entire list into this app, and then, hopefully, I will do a better job of keeping up with it. 

Oh, and did I mention that this app is free?  Yes, FREE!  At least it was when I downloaded it a few days ago.  I'm not sure if it's available on the Android platform or not, since I'm an iPhone girl.  And now....I've got a few minutes.  I think I'll go work on my list...

1 comment:

Kasey said...

Thanks so much for telling us about this! I'm always looking for good/interesting apps and I just downloaded this one :)