Friday, February 26, 2010

One Year in Heaven

Honestly, I'm at a bit of a loss for what to post this morning. I had thought I would share some of the events of this day from a year ago...but my mind just won't compose itself enough to do that. I guess that will be another day's post.

All I can really say is that over the past year (really two years) we've seen that God is faithful, even the most difficult circumstances, and that He can be trusted, even when the darkness is impenetrable. We've seen the power of prayer to give strength when the thought of putting one foot in front of another is almost unbearable. And we've seen the love of Christ demonstrated through His people...we continue to receive cards, letters, emails, and Facebook messages from those who are praying for us almost daily. We've learned that it is possible to be completely heartbroken and yet experience deep joy at the same time. We've survived lower lows than we ever thought possible, and come through it stronger. We've found ourselves forever bonded with other families who have lost children...some of whom we've never even met! And we've learned the art of appreciating every moment we are given. And we realize that a year ago today was the best day of Hannah's life!

At Hannah's celebration service, we had a song by MercyMe played during a slide show of her life, and I think the words truly capture how those of us who loved her the most -- including her grandparents, her aunts and uncles, her cousins, and her friends -- are feeling today. It's called "Homesick".

"You're in a better place, I've heard a thousand times
And at least a thousand times I've rejoiced for you
But the reason why I'm broken...The reason why I cry
Is how long must I wait to be with you?

I close my eyes and I see your face
If home's where my heart is then I'm out of place
Lord won't you give me strength to make it through somehow
I've never been more homesick than now.

Help me Lord because I don't understand Your ways
The reason why I wonder if I'll ever know
But even if You showed me the hurt would be the same
Because I'm still here so far away from home.

In Christ there are no goodbyes
In Christ there is no end
So I'll hold onto Jesus with all that I have
To see you again.

I close my eyes and I see your face
If home's where my heart is then I'm out of place
Lord won't you give me strength to make it through somehow
I've never been more homesick than now."

We love you, Hannah Joy, and we can't wait to see you again!

4 comments:

Aunt Sarah said...

So glad you are in a better place! Miss you Hannah!

Laurie and Jerry Wood said...

We long for the day when we will join you in that place of peace and perfection, Hannah Joy. This world is not our home, just as it was not yours....

Lora Howell said...

Jill, I have been thinking of you this week. As I read your blog and facebook and your comments of people praying, it reminded me of the amazing power of the Holy Spirit. I think I told you that you kept coming to my mind the last couple of years, even though we had not seen each other in over 20 years! After I found you on facebook this time last year, I realized why. I was blessed to be connected to you and your family through the Holy Spirit, even when I didn't know why. I also learned a valuable God-lesson. If He brings someone to mind, there's a reason. I look forward to meeting Hannah in heaven someday. And while we are still here, my thoughts and prayers remain with you.
Lora
Romans 8:26
In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express.

Anonymous said...

I love this song and have it on what was Jamie's Ipod. I listen to it through the speakers at work and this song really gets me through the day. I'm glad our kids aren't suffering any longer, but it is hard to be without them. I can't wait to be in God's glorious presence with them.