Friday, November 6, 2009

Musings on Heaven (Part 2)...

Have you ever noticed how many of the old hymns of the faith refer to Heaven (usually in the last verse)? I have to say that I never really paid that much attention before...I must confess that I have often been guilty of mindlessly singing along, while my thoughts are elsewhere. But now that Hannah lives there, those words practically leap off the page -- or the screen, at our church....

"When we've been there 10,000 years; bright shining as the sun;
there's no less days to sing God's praise than when we'd first begun."

"I heard about a mansion He has built for me in glory,
And I heard about the streets of gold beyond the crystal sea;
About the angels singing and the old redemption story,
And some sweet day I'll sing up there the song of victory."

"When Christ shall come with shout of acclamation
And take me home, what joy shall fill my heart!
Then I shall bow, in humble adoration
And there proclaim, "My God, how great Thou art!""

"O that with yonder sacred throng
We at His feet may fall
We'll join the everlasting song
And crown Him Lord of all."

I've not been able to sing those songs in church yet without getting choked up...I'm never quite able to sing that last verse. The thought of Hannah being part of that sacred throng is just a little too much. Notice, also, that all of these songs refer to singing and praising God in Heaven. I'm beginning to realize that I am closest to Hannah when I am doing what she is doing...worshiping Jesus! I don't have to wait until I get to Heaven to begin that everlasting song -- I can start now! I have to be honest and say that I don't always feel like doing that, but God is faithful, whether I am or not. And for that, I am thankful!

No comments: