Monday, July 6, 2009

The 4th of July and C. S. Lewis

We were so blessed this past weekend to be able to spend time with family over the Fourth of July. We traveled to Mountain Home, where we saw my cousin Sharon & her family (visiting from Indiana), my parents, and my brother, T. J., and his family. We got to see two fireworks shows while we were there, and even squeezed in a shopping trip to Branson. We brought Hannah's car to Mountain Home with us, and my dad is going to sell it for us. It's a little difficult to part with it...just one more link to Hannah gone...but it's time.

As always, we really feel Hannah's absence when we're with family. But, I had a wonderful reminder of where she is, right when I needed it, after we got home. I am an avid reader of World magazine, which is similar to Time or Newsweek, but written with a Christian worldview. A few months ago, they announced a contest in which people could nominate "Best Last Lines" of books, and their most recent issue lists the winners. One of the most popular last lines was from C. S. Lewis's "The Last Battle" (the final book in the Chronicles of Narnia), and I thought it was wonderful:

"All their adventures in Narnia had only been the cover and the title page: now at last they were beginning Chapter One of the Great Story, which no one on earth has read: which goes on forever: in which every chapter is better than the one before."

Isn't that an awesome description of Heaven?

No comments: