Sunday, June 14, 2009

Sullivan Family Update 3.4.09

I hope you all don't mind receiving a few more emails from the Sullivans. We've been sending these emails for so long, all of you who read them almost seem like part of the family....even though there are many of you whom we have never met. You all have been walking this journey with us for so long...it just doesn't seem right to end it so abruptly. And there are some more things we really want to share with you.

All the events of this past weekend were such a blessing to us. We have been surrounded by friends and family, many of whom traveled great distances to share this occasion with us. Hannah's celebration service on Sunday was a great comfort to us, and we wanted to take a moment to recognize some of the people who were involved in it. There was a program, but it did not contain the names of those who participated in the service, and we'd really like everyone to know who they were. Kenny Humbert, our church administrator, played the piano beautifully while people were seated. The service began with Hannah's youth director, Donnie Burrow, singing an original song he wrote for Hannah. It was beautifully done, and so very special. Our pastor, Manley Beasley, then read the obituary and led in a prayer, followed by the Casting Crowns song "Praise You in the Storm", sung by Danny Baxter, our church's worship leader. Bethany and Brad each took a turn speaking in tribute to Hannah, followed by "I Will Rise" by Chris Tomlin, sung by our dear friend (and Hannah's ophthalmologist), Tommy Moseley. Our precious neighbor, and semi-retired pastor, Gerald "Tiny" Taylor, brought a message about the peace of God, and the service closed with a slide show of pictures of Hannah, and another prayer by Bro. Manley. We are so appreciative of all who gave of their time and God-given talents to make this service so special.

Monday was a beautiful, sunny day (though chilly) for our graveside service in Briggsville. Jill's brother, Steve, and Brad's brother, Mark, led us in a devotional, and my sister-in-law's sister, Felicia, led the group in singing, "It Is Well With My Soul." Hannah's gravesite is on a country hillside with a gorgeous view of the surrounding mountains. This is a special area because Brad's family owns land here and this is the place where they deer and duck hunt. Hannah always loved spending time at "the deer camp".

All of the family has gone home now, and the three of us are beginning to settle into a "new normal". We have spent a lot of time the last few days going through items from the funeral, writing thank you notes, getting the house back in order, etc. We've also spent lots of time just talking together and remembering Hannah.

I want to close tonight with the lyrics of one of the songs that was sung at Hannah's celebration service on Sunday..."I Will Rise" by Chris Tomlin. These words say it all...

There's a peace I've come to know
Though my heart and flesh may fail
There's an anchor for my soul
I can say, "It is well"
Jesus has overcome
And the grave is overwhelmed
The victory is won
He is risen from the dead
I will rise when He calls my name
No more sorrow, no more pain
I will rise on eagles' wings
Before my God, fall on my knees
And rise
I will rise
There's a day that's drawing near
When this darkness breaks to light
And the shadows disappear
And my faith shall be my eyes
And I hear the voice of many angels sing,
"Worthy is the Lamb"
And I hear the cry of every longing heart,
"Worthy is the Lamb"
Jesus has overcome
And the grave is overhwlmed
The victory is won
He is risen from the dead
I will rise when He calls my name
No more sorrow, no more pain
I will rise on eagle's wings
Before my God, fall on my knees
And rise
I will rise

And this is why we continue to say that God is good, all the time!

Jill, Brad, and Bethany

No comments: